Saturday, 6 August 2011

Social Life


I’m used to going to school at IU-one of the biggest party schools in the nation.  Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive about coming over here and getting bored on those days that I wasn’t traveling.  Once again, I was worrying for no reason.   The first week I got here, orientation week, there was a large list of activities in which I participated.  There was a Cowboy/Indian pub crawl one night and another night was a “decades” theme where each different part of Campus East was supposed to be a different decade.  Trench Town was the 50’s.  There was a scheduled hike to climb Mount Kiera but due to weather it was postponed.  The drinking age over here is 18 but on Campus there are still some rules.  You aren’t supposed to drink in groups larger than 9 and drinking games aren’t to be played on campus. The big uni-nights here are Sunday and Wednesday.  On these two nights places offer specials for all of the poor uni kids.  Thank goodness for specials because everything is crazy expensive over here!  A tube of mascara is $17 and a bottle of Smirnoff is $54.   

Aside from actually being legal it’s been fun to explore Wollongong as well.  A few nights ago there was a huge bonfire on the beach right by Campus.  There were probably at least 50 people there and it was really fun to be able to relax by a bonfire on the beach.  We also looked up at the stars.  Supposedly there are different constellations here but being the huge astronomy buff that I am (?) I have no idea what the constellations either hemisphere can see.  Maybe I’ll learn before I leave.  I’ve also been going on runs and walks along the beach and on a really nice path that runs parallel to the beach.  I’ve felt pretty safe overall and never go alone anywhere at night (mom and dad taught me well).

I’ve gone shopping in town with Liz and explored town with a few other people as well.   The mall is pretty close to campus.  The free bus takes students directly there.  I still can’t get over living right by the beach! The other day on one of my runs I came across the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen.  The sun was hitting the water at just the right time of day and the mountains were glowing as well.  I wanted to take a picture to show everyone but I know that the picture wouldn’t have done it justice (also my camera is still broken).

My Australian and American friends have taught me a lot of new fun things I plan on bringing back to the states with me.  Here are some of the fun words I thought you may want to know.  Until next time-G’day mate!

Heaps-a lot. “It was heaps of fun”
Keen- you’re interested. “I’m keen to go tonight”
How you going?- “How are you doing?”
Hey- right. “You know what I mean, hey?”

No comments:

Post a Comment